Sunday, October 9, 2011

Missing the Church Boat & An Unexpected Friend

It takes a moment to remember where I am. Awake or dreaming? Day or Night? What day? What year? What time? 
 It comes back to me as I lay in my bed soaked with sweat.
I am awake now.
It was a dream of buildings and oceans, true, but this dream is different than the ones before.
I am not lost.
I am late and miss the boat, but I am not lost.
Eyes are rolled and I cause a commotion in the Church Boat without ever stepping foot in it. A church lady says I stole a cartridge of red ink and apparently I give them much to talk about in their boat, even though I never stole red ink and tell her so on our boat to boat call. She calls me a bloody thief and slams down the phone.
Still, even in my dream, I think it is funny, because if I were to steal anything from the Church,  it would be red ink.
In some bibles, Jesus talks in red, and despite how I hate the Church, I cannot hate Jesus!
I love his red words, so I laugh.
This dream is different.
I am not lost. I climb walls of my Building to get in, and once I even use the door, but mostly I am swimming, swimming, swimming in a big beautiful lake that leads to the Ocean.
Usually, I am alone in my dreams except for bumping into my big sister who always listens and helps me.
All my sisters are there but we are all busy. Even when I see my big sister, I am too busy to talk. I am swimming and swimming, loving to swim and I make a friend.
My friend is Danielle. She lives in Virginia near my grandmother. She is a single mother, and has three babies too. She likes emphasis on the first syllable of her name, something I have to practice to get right.
My babies are grown. Hers are really babies, and I make them laugh.
We both miss the Church boat and on a whim, we get our own boat and follow the Church Boat from a safe distance.
I have never traveled with a friend before and it is fun.
When I learn the babies names, I see she has 3 plus 1 children, not 3. The littlest one is my stepson from long, long ago. He should be grown but she adopted him and I work extra hard to make him smile.
When we tire of boating, we swim with Danielle's 4 babies back where we started in the big beautiful lake behind my grandmother's house.
I stand on top of the dam and am a laughing, roaring king singing a roaring, laughing  king song to amuse the children. I end my song with a cannonball and they clap with joy when I emerge.
They thought the waters much too shallow to jump.
I tell them the secret.
Never jump feet first into shallow waters, I say. Curl up and hit sideways.

No comments:

Post a Comment